Let’s pretend I’ve made it big as a designer, and Nabisco contacted me to over haul their Chips Ahoy logo. They want to see three completely different logos that don’t imitate their current or previous ones.
I used Adobe Illustrator to create three different logos with various color schemes and typography, and original illustrations.
- Logo 1 – I used the Pen tool and Shapes tool to create the ship and the wave. I used the Type on a Path tool to insert the word Cookies on a copy of the ship shape and then changed the letters to objects. After that I was able to use the Free Transform tool to skew the letters to appear large at the beginning and small at the end.
- Logo 2 – I used the Shapes tool to create four circles, which I scaled to nest within each other. I used the Pathfinder tool to create a compound shape out of the dark brown circle and the smaller cream circle. I used placed a rectangle across the red circle and then used the Pathfinder tool to cut away the rectangle leaving two semi-circles. I rounded the corners of the circles to give them a smoother look. I used the Shapes tool to create a star and then copied and scaled the smaller stars. I used the Free Transform tool to stretch the exclamation point.
- Logo 3 – I used the Shapes tool to create the rectangle and oval. I used the Direct Select tool to skew the bottom of the rectangle to the desired shape. I copied the rectangle and resized it to create a shadow beneath the main rectangle. I added text, converted it to objects, and once again used the Free Transform tool to stretch the exclamation point.
Chips Ahoy cookies have been around since 1963. I wanted to show their staying power by creating retro logos.
Chocolate chip cookies are ageless. I created my logo to appeal to consumers as well as kids.
Top Thing I Learned:
I learned how to use the Free Transform tool in Illustrator.
Color Schemes and Color Names:
- Complementary – Brick and Teal.
- Split Complementary – Light Orange, Red and Teal.
- Triadic – Yellow, Blue and Red.
Title / Body Font Names and Categories:
- The title is hand-made by me and modeled after Crocante, a Decorative font. The body is Gill Sans, sans serif.
- The title is a script font called BlackJack. The body is a sans serif called Neue Haus Grotesk.
- The title is a decorative font called Mouse Memories. The body is a script called BlackJack and also a sans serif called Neue Haus Grotesk.
Votes on favorite logos: Top logo= 6 Middle logo= 5 Bottom logo= 3
My favorite logo is #2 because it is simple, versatile and looks completely different than the company’s current design.